Monday, April 11, 2011

April 10: Chicken, Corn, and Black Bean Stoup

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pounds chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
   Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce
1 large onion, chopped
4 ears of fresh corn, kernels cut from the cob
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 quart chicken stock or broth
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
   Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, plus some for garnish
   Hot sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
   Sour cream, for garnish


Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat with the vegetable oil. Add the chicken and season with salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, and chipotle chili pepper.


Cook the chicken until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion, corn kernels, and red bell peppers.


Cook, stirring frequently, for about 3 minutes. Dust the chicken and veggies with the flour, stir, and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Turn the heat up to high and add the chicken stock.


Bring the stew up to a simmer and then add the black beans.


Simmer the stew for 15 minutes. Add the lime juice and cilantro, and stir to combine.


Taste and check for seasoning; adjust with salt and pepper and a little hot sauce if you like the heat. Serve the stoup garnished with a little sour cream and a little bit of chopped cilantro.

6 SERVINGS


I made this soup for lunch today instead of making it yesterday. We went out for Sunday lunch with my in-laws yesterday, and I had a splitting headache last night. So I decided just to make this for lunch and make the variation of the meatloaf patties for dinner tonight. I went out of order and made the meatloaf patty master recipe first, when this one comes first in the book. That way I can split up the recipes.

This soup is a nice light meal - good for lunch. It is so good! I think the fresh corn really does it. The flavors are well balanced, and the cilantro gives it the perfect touch. I wouldn't want this on a hot day, but it's good for a cold, windy day like today. I didn't change it, but I didn't put very much chili pepper or hot sauce in it. I had to go buy coriander because we were out, and I'm glad I did. The flavors were just delicious. Everyone liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment