Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 24: Ginger Vegetable Chicken Noodle Bowl

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken tenders or thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks or grated
1 cup shredded carrots
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
6 cups chicken stock or broth
1/2 pound vermicelli
4 scallions, trimmed and cut into 2 1/2-inch lengths, then cut lengthwise into matchsticks
2 cups fresh crisp bean sprouts

Heat a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil, then add the chicken and lightly brown it, about 3 minutes.


Add the garlic and ginger, stir, add the carrots, season with salt and pepper, and add the cumin and five-spice powder.


Add the stock and bring the soup to a boil. Add the vermicelli and reduce the heat to a simmer.


Cook for 3 minutes, then add the scallions and bean sprouts and turn off the heat. Let the soup stand for 5 minutes, adjust the seasonings, and serve.

4 SERVINGS


I made this yesterday for a family in our church who just had a baby. I tasted it before I took it to them, and I liked it pretty well. I hope they liked it. I was at a conference yesterday and today, so I didn't get a chance to write this until today (Saturday). I made it just as the recipe called for, and I used white meat for the chicken. Last time I made this, I used dark meat and I didn't like the taste of it in the soup. I like the white meat much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment